Meeting Minutes, November 14, 2018

7:05 pm — Meeting Called to Order by President Stan Anderson

Introductions & Announcements: Members of the community introduced themselves.  President Stan Anderson made several announcements:

  1.  The MBNC is looking for new people to serve on the Executive Committee.  Stan requested that anyone who is interested or knows anyone who may be interested to contact him.
  2. The MBNC has negotiated for 24/7 security patrols of Marina Bay to be paid for by a new Cannabis business located just outside of the Marina Bay boundaries.
  3. The Holiday Pot Luck will take place on Wednesday December 12th.

Beat Cop Report — T. Peterson:   Officer Peterson reported on crime stats for our area, which included petty theft reports; identity theft; and restraining orders for domestic assault.   Several attendees asked questions.

Presentation — Richmond Homelessness Task Force, Officer Tim Gray, Richmond Police Department:  Officer Gray told residents all about the city council’s task force on homelessness, and some of the challenges the city and the police have in dealing with emcampments.

Presentation — Republic Services:  The representative of the waste management company was unable to attend, but MBNC President Stan Anderson had handouts regarding garbage collection and recylcing.   President Anderson advised the group regarding the challenge of keeping recycling collections clear of non-recyclable material.  He says due to the higher standards being put in place by buyers of recyclables (primarily Chinese companies) regarding what can and cannot be included, some waste collection companies and communities are now beginning to charge homeowners for putting non-recyclable items in the bins.   He warned that this could happen in Richmond and Marina Bay if the problems continued.

Meeting Adjourned.

Minutes prepared by Stephen Beard (MBNC Secretary)

Meeting Minutes, September 12, 2018

7:00 pm — Meeting Called to Order by President Stan Anderson

Introductions & Announcements: Members of the community introduced themselves.  President Stan Anderson made several announcements:

  1.  A Tesla charging station is being installed at the plaza
  2. The MBNC is hosting an Candidate’s Night for City of Richmond Mayoralty and Council candidates at our next meeting on October 10th.
  3. Marina Bay residents are encouraged to participate in the MBNC.  Each HOA may select a representative of their Association to serve as a liason to the Council.

A resident from Marina Bay Northshore announced they had established a new Safety and Security Group there and encouraged folks to contact her regarding participation and support for similar organizations at other associations.

A resident from Breakers talked about that Association’s Emergency Preparedness Committee.

Presentation — 9-1-1 Emergency Services, Michael Shlemmer, City of Richmond:  Ms. Shlemmer advised attendees on how the 9-1-1 services work in Richmond and how residents can use them most effectively.

Presentation — Armistice Brewery, Alex Zobel, Owner:  Alex stopped by and gave us all an update as the brewery celebrates its first year in Marina Bay in August.

Announcement, Harbor Master Steve Orosz: The Harbor Master was present.  He discussed the work being done on the new kayak launch as well as progress on the new waste collection area being developed in the parking lot across from Melville Square.

Beat Officer’s Report — None.

Meeting Adjourned.

Minutes prepared by Stephen Beard (MBNC Secretary)

Meeting Minutes, August 8th, 2018

7:04 pm — Meeting Called to Order by President Stan Anderson

Introductions & Announcements: Members of the community introduced themselves.  President Anderson led a discussion about control of speeding cars on Marina Bay Parkway and community concerns about the speed bumps installed on the Southbound side of the underpass.  Residents were encouraged to email the Richmond Police at RpdStopSpeed@richmondpd.net to report speeding.    President Anderson announced that a Nominating Committee would be appointed to select a new Executive Board.

Presentation — Commercial Support Services, Murri Banis, Program Coordinator:  Ms. Banis told the group all about her non-profit agency that provides employment for people with developmental disabilities in a facility on Regatta.

Police Beat Report:   No officer present.

Meeting Adjourned at 8:14pm

Minutes prepared by Stephen Beard (MBNC Secretary)

Meeting Minutes, April 11, 2018

7:01 pm — Meeting Called to Order by President Stan Anderson

Introductions & Announcements: Members of the community introduced themselves.  Treasurer Lynne Therriault told the group about the Energy Savings Assistance Program from PG&E, that is available to residents on Medicare.   The phone number to access these free benefits is:  510-417-9821.  Lynne also handed out free passes to Mountain Hard Ware at the Craneway.

Presentation — Donation to the Rosie the Riveter Trust:  President Stan Anderson presented the Director of the trust, Marsha Mather-Thrift with a check from MBNC for $1000.  Mather-Thrift thanked the MBNC and gave a brief report on the work of the trust.

Presentation — Lost Secrets of Point Molate and the San Pablo Peninsula, Richmond Mayor Tom Butt:  Mayor Butt gave a fascinating presentation on the history of Point Molate.   After the presentation, he answered questions about the area and its potential future development.

Presentation — Donation to the Membe’s Way:  President Stan Anderson presented  Salute E Vita Ristorante owner Menbere Aklilu with a check from MBNC for $1000.  Aklilu thanked the MBNC and offered a brief report on some of the work of her non-profit.

Police Beat Report:   Officer Mendel gave an update on police activity in our area and answered questions.

Meeting Adjourned at 8:35pm

Minutes prepared by Stephen Beard (MBNC Secretary)

Meeting Minutes, March 14, 2018

7:02 pm — Meeting Called to Order by President Stan Anderson

Introductions & Announcements: Members of the community introduced themselves.  President Anderson made several announcements:

a) The broken fence at the underpass has finally been repaired.

b) There is a bike/walk ordinance before city council, with comments due by 3/30.  A copy of the ordinance was distributed.

c) Donations from MBNC to Membe’s Fund and Rosie’s Girls have been approved.  Additionally, the MBNC purchase 5 bikes and helmets for the Richmond Police and Fire “Get a Kid a Bike” program.

d) Continued community concerns regarding speeding on Marina Bay Parkway.   Stan is pushing for the speed limit sign at the Meeker side of the underpass going into the Marina to be changed from 30 mph to 25 mph, to match the posted  speed limit signs elsewhere

e) The vacant property between the Rosie the Riveter museum and Marina Bay South has been sold and the buyers are considering residential development.  A presentation to the community is anticipated for our May 9th meeting.

f) The location used by the AMethod school has been purchase by the school.

g) The building that holds the commercial space currently used by Comcast is for sale.

h) The city is open to the idea raised in a previous meeting of working with the owners of the Richmond Food Center (at the corner of Cutting and Marina Bay Parkway) to improve its visual appearance and, hopefully, its usage by the community.

i)  The MBNC meeting next month on April 11th will include a presentation on the history of Pt. Molate.  For our may 9th meeting we are hoping for a report from the Richmond emergency services department in addition to the presentation about the development of the lot near the museum (see item e above).

j) A community member alerted us all to a free energy upgraded being offered here in Richmond, which could include appliances as well as light bulbs and power bars.  The contact for this program is “Joy” at 510-417-9821.

Police Beat Report:   Officer Mendel attended along with Lt. J. Schlemmer.   Officer Mendel indicated he did not have any information on any incidents more recent that two weeks ago, but he said things have been “pretty good” here in the Marina.  He says the only reports he is aware of are for an attempted theft from the CVS and a theft from a storage unit at the Extra Space Storage facility.

Officer Mendel and Lt. J. Schlemmer then conducted a detailed discussion of the sideshow incident that occurred in February at the intersection of Marina Bay Parkway and Regatta.

The officers also introduced a new email address they want the public to use to report incidents like sideshows and reckless driving in NON-EMERGENCY circumstances.   The email address is:  rpdstopspeed@richmondpd.net

Fire at Sims Metal Management:  Jill Rodby, Public Relations and Michael Holmes, the Division Manager, spoke to the community about the fire that occurred in February at their premises.   The community raised concerns regarding how the company is changing its methods and practices in the wake of the incident.  There were also concerns raised about the unattractive appearance of the company’s lot…especially as viewed from the non-Cutting Blvd side.    Concerns were also raised about the company’s concerns regarding the opening of a restaurant across the street, but President Anderson reminded everyone that since the restaurant was located in a different neighborhood, the community was best to address the matter at the city council hearing on the matter scheduled for April 24th.

Meeting Adjourned at 8:40pm

Minutes prepared by Stephen Beard (MBNC Secretary)

Meeting Minutes, Oct 11th, 2017

DISCUSSION: Traffic issues on Marina Way S. associated with A Method Schools

A Method schools has elementary, junior high and high school

Suggestion: have a person designated as liaison between neighborhood council and school from the school

  • Traffic
    • Traffic was at dead stop at one point with two people directing traffic
    • Traffic is heavier since new school
    • When not too much traffic; cars are speeding more than before.
  • Park and students
    • Not letting the maintenance people get their work done.
    • Destroying landscaping
    • Lawn brown spots from overuse at Edwards Park
    • Swarms of students on Big Green throughout the day.
    • Agapanthus all but gone
    • No permits have been issued as of a week ago
  • Walking, bike path students taking up too much room
  • Safety
    • No supervision by adults
    • Teach students to give way to people on Bay Trail if walking or on bicycles.

Police Officer Report — Officer Kris Palma

Petty thefts

Use of bathroom near Melville Square

Homeless still near train tracks BNSF is in charge – people go over the Kaiser fence

Announcements

Ferry terminal – groundbreaking on November 1 – service to begin 2018

Richmond Rivera property has been sold – new owner

Toys for Tots for fire department

BayWalk beginning with something happening by next year. Mostly condos and some live work. About 250 units.

Area FM near Salutes is in play but no price and or plans. Orton has interest in it. Minimal retail and parking. Mostly residential. A street will go through to Marina Way S.

May be biofuel refinery opening close by

Canabus refining may be coming in

 

Speeding on Marina Bay Parkway city has done a few things to help the problem.

Veolia will be installing a couple of extracting trash – collectors. One is near PG&E office.

================================================

Minutes prepared by Lynne Therriault (MBNC Treasurer)

Meeting Minutes, July 12th, 2017

7:02 pm — Meeting Called to Order by President Stan Anderson

Introductions & Announcements: Members of the community introduced themselves.  President Anderson made several announcements:

a) The Home Front Festival and Rosie Rally will take place on August 12th (flyers and postcards were distributed)

b) The August 9th meeting of the MBNC would include a presentation from city staff regarding potential traffic calming measures for Marina Bay Parkway

c) The September meeting of the MBNC would have a representative from The Craneway Pavilion, who was unable to make it to this meeting as had been scheduled

d) Stan says he is trying to arrange for a representative from Anh’s Vietnamese Restaurant to offer an updated presentation

e) Stan reminded everyone that the Landscape & Lighting District needs representation from the MBNC and from the local HOA and that we were close to having a volunteer soon from the MBNC.

Police Beat Report:   Officer K. Palma reported on crime in our community and addressed community concerns.

Presentation – Crime Prevention, Michelle Milam, Crime Prevention Manager, City of Richmond Police Department:  Michelle Milam of the Richmond Police gave a presentation on ways neighbors can protect themselves in regards to property thefts.  She encouraged residents to report non-urgent crimes such as property theft via email to pdbeat1@richmondpd.net.   She says all the officers see those emails, not just the current officer on patrol.   She says people should still use “911” for crimes in progress.   She offered numerous ideas for avoiding parcel theft from our entranceways, which she described as one of the fastest growing crimes.   Some ideas were discussed included:

a) Getting parcels delivered to your work or to a neighbor who is at home to receive them

b) Insisting where possible that senders require a signature for packages

c) Use the “Amazon Locker” service

d) Have parcels delivered at the UPS or Fedex stores instead of to your home

e) Sign up for Custom Delivery tracking information on the UPS/Fedex websites

f) Track all your packages using free onine services from USPS/UPS/Fedex and other service providers

g) Consider a camera system for your front door area

h) Consider a “package guard” device (this device on your porch will trigger an alarm if the package is delivered by an unknown person

i) Let your neighbors know if you are going to be away from your home

Ms. Milam then described some ideas for reducing bicycle theft:

a) Using a “u-lock” instead of standard chain locks.  She says they are harder to remove.

b) Having the bike engraved with ID so recovered stolen bikes can be returned to you.   She says this is especially helpful for “average bikes” that are not high-profile brands.

Ms. Milam says crime reports from the public are usually filed within 2-3 days with a case number, which victims can use to identify the matter when communicating with the police.  She says the public should allow 3 days for feedback on property crimes because the property crimes unit is overwhelmed.  But she said we could email her if we didn’t get the police report within a week.  She advised that reports can be filed online, including on the city police department’s mobile app.

She gave us her email address:   MMilam@richmondpd.net

The website for the Crime Prevention Unit is:

http://www.ci.richmond.ca.us/992/Crime-Prevention

 

Meetiing Adjourned at 8:17pm

Minutes prepared by Stephen Beard (MBNC Secretary)

Meeting Minutes, June 14th, 2017

7:05 pm — Meeting Called to Order by President Stan Anderson

Introductions & Announcements: Members of the community introduced themselves.  President Anderson presented emergency preparedness kits that attendees could take with them after the meeting.  He reminded the meeting that the 4th of July fireworks would be taking place in the park the evening of July 3rd, and there could be thousands of visitors.  He also told the group about the upcoming Home Front Festival on August 12th.

Police Beat Report:   Officer K. Palma reported on crime in our communit and addressed community concerns.

Speeding on Marina Bay Parkway — General Discussion

Community members, along with representatives from the city and the police force held a spirited discussion about the issues of speeding on the parkway and potential ideas for solutions to the problem.  Some ideas explored included adding speed bumps; stop signs; flashing lights; max speed signs; pedestrian activated stop lights; increased speed limit signage; limit traffic to one-way in each direction by adding bike lanes.

It was noted by one member that residents can make requests directly to the city via the Citizen Traffic Request Form available on the city’s website.   (http://www.ci.richmond.ca.us/documentcenter/view/7803)

Presentation – Kaiser Regional Lab:  Administrator Geoff O’Conner presented a slide show and film about the lab which is located on Marina Way South between Regatta Blvd and Wright Ave.

Meetiing Adjourned at 8:30pm

Minutes prepared by Stephen Beard (MBNC Secretary) and Lynne Therriault (MBNC Treasurer)

Meeting Minutes, May 10th, 2017

7:07pm — Meeting Called to Order by Secretary Stephen Beard

Introductions: Members of the community introduced themselves.  Secretary Beard announced that both President Anderson and Vice-President Cady were unable to attend the meeting so he would facilitate the discussion.    A short discussion of neighborhood concerns took place.

Police Beat Report:   Officer K. Palma, freshly back from Paternity Leave, reported on crime in our community and answered questions from the community.   Neighbors expressed concerns that the speed monitor on Marina Bay Parkway was in place for a very short period of time.  Officer Palma said he would ask for it to be brought back.    He said there were no major police reports in our area since his last report, just a few minor reports of vandalism and petty theft.    There was a discussion about a recent spate of shop-lifting at the CVS store.    Officer Palma encouraged residents to contact him or the department via email for non-emergency concerns and issues.  His email address is kpalma@richmondpd.net and the department email is pdbeat1@richmondpd.net.

Presentation – Armistice Brewery.  Alex Zobol, Co-Owner:   Ms. Zobol shared an update on the progress being made at one of the neighborhood’s newest neighbors.   She says the brewery and tap room should open within a few months.  She says they will have a “Community Room” upstairs that they hope to share with local groups and help to support non-profits in our area.     Ms. Zobol shared some of the marketing plans for the brewery, and advised neighbors how they could stay informed about the brewery’s progress.

Presentation — Rising Sun Energy, Lindsey Roark:  Ms. Roark spoke about her non-profit that is working with the City of Richmond to offer free energy audits of residents’ homes.   They also will receive LED lightbulbs to replace their old CFL and incandescent bulbs, low-flow shower heads, kitchen sink aerators, and a smart power strip for entertainment centers.   She says the program is funded by PG&E and the City of Richmond.   She also told the group that the program works by hiring local young people for summer jobs, and that they need to source them right here in Richmond.  She asked for help with that effort.

Presentation – Hop to It, Todd Florey:   Mr. Florey runs a small business out of the Harbor Master Bldg serving boat owners in the Marina.   His business is cleaning the bottom of the boats.   He spoke for a few minutes about the work he does.    He has about 175 clients in this area.

Meeting Adjourned at 8:16PM

Minutes Submitted by Stephen Beard, MBNC Secretary

Meeting Minutes, April 12th, 2017

7:00pm — Meeting Called to Order by President Stan Anderson

Introductions: Members of the community introduced themselves.  President Anderson described the role and function of the MBNC.

Beat Officer’s Report:   Officer Cortez reported for Officer K. Palma who is on paternity leave.  She stated that there were no mail thefts reported in our community in the last month.  Next week, there will be another speed operation and radar machine on Marina Bay Parkway.  The community requested that the speed operation also be conducted on Esplanade.  Cortez also reported that CVS has had a number of petty thefts.  They do have surveillance cameras, but the thieves grab and go quickly before they can be apprehended.  Cortez says that it is important that if you see something, report it, even if you do not have license plate or other information.   Use the non-emergency phone number in these cases 233-1214.  It helps the Department to know what types of crime are happening in the area so they can increase patrols as necessary.

Officer Bartley announced that the BRAVO teams have returned.  They are assigned to neighborhoods and do foot and bike patrols.  Their mission is to deal with crime trends in the area in support of the beat officers.  Officer Matsui is the BRAVO Officer for our neighborhood.

Announcements:  Stan Anderson told the community that Bay Walk is on schedule.  They have salvaged the redwood used in construction of the now demolished warehouse.  Armistice Brewery is planning to open with a couple months in the Crossings.  Hilltop community will have its first Sunday Food Emporium event on April 30th from 1:00-3:00 at Lake Park.  There will be food trucks, music and other activities.  All Richmond residents are invited to attend.  Several representatives from MBNC will attend to see if this is the type of event we would like to schedule in Marina Bay.

Emergency communications training/testing event, April 2, sponsored by the Marina Bay CERT Team:  Kathy Watson told the group about the first communications event.  About 15 residents from the community attended and learned about the strengths and limitations of the FRS/GMRS radio system in Marina Bay.  The next Marina Bay Communications training event will be held Sunday, May 21, 2017 1:00 – 3:00.  (See the detailed report at the end of the minutes.)

Rising Sun Energy Center: Lindsay Roark was unable to attend the meeting tonight but will be rescheduled for a future date.

Presentation – Long term planning for the Marina Bay neighborhood – Richard Mitchell – Director of Planning and Building Services:  The basic premise of the City General Plan is to use land intelligently and efficiently.  In Marina Bay, plans include making the area a walkable community and enhancing connectivity to other parts of the City, transportation hubs and public transportation.  Parking lots are not seen as efficient use of land.  The most viable proposal for parcel FM is from Orton.  In response to a question from the community, he said it does not include a grocery.  More roof tops are needed to make a grocery viable and its location at the end of a road does not add to the appeal for a grocery.   One might make more sense in the area near CVS.  The planned/approved Starbucks construction has been held up by the weather, the project will start as soon as weather permits.  Zeneca has finally agreed to clean up the 80 acres of the properly they occupied for a number of years.  An industrial warehouse is in the planning stages for 912 Harbour Way S.  The plan is to use the building as a distribution center.  Distribution centers, including the Amazon center on the Richmond Parkway do not generate as much tax revenue for the City as retail establishments do.

Minutes submitted by Elizabeth Heilman

Meeting Minutes, March 8th, 2017

7:05pm — Meeting Called to Order by President Stan Anderson

Introductions: Members of the community introduced themselves.  President Anderson described the role and function of the MBNC.

Police Beat Report:   No report.

Announcements:   President Anderson made the following announcements:

  1.   Next meeting April 12th.  Richard Mitchell, the City’s Planning Director, will come and speak about developments in Marina Bay.
  2.  We will be getting a presentation in the Spring about free energy audits and lightbulb replacements from a non-profit that serves Richmond residents.
  3.  Potholes are a big problem, including the level crossing at Regatta.   Mr. Anderson says the city services manager will work with the railways to address this problem.   He says the city plans to spend the next two weeks focussing on pot hole repair and will defer all paving projects for that time.
  4. Speed bumps have been requested by a resident in Marina Bay for Marina Bay Parkway.  The Richmond Neighborhood Coordinating Committee (RNCC) reviewed this request and suggested instead that the city install a speed monitoring device on the roadway, marking the crosswalks more clearly, removing visible obstructions, and brightening the street lights.
  5. President Anderson plans to request a presentation on the history of Richmond for a future meeting.
  6. The Landscape and Lighting District Advisory Committee needs a representative from the Marina Bay Neighborhood Council and one more HOA rep.

Presentation – Jill Rodby and Michael Holmes, SIMS Metal Management: Ms. Rodby and Mr. Holmes gave a fascinating presentation on the work done at their business located in our community.

Presentation — Jeff Clinton, John Henry High School, AMethod Public Schools:  Mr. Clinton discussed the new high school opening on Marina Way South later this year.

 

Presentation — Kieron Slaughter, Richmond Wellness Trail: Mr. Slaughter shared the development and longer-term vision of the trail being created and planned from downtown to the waterfront.

 

 

Minutes Submitted by Stephen Beard, MBNC Secretary

Meeting Minutes, February 8th, 2017

7:04pm — Meeting Called to Order by President Stan Anderson

Introductions: Members of the community introduced themselves.  President Anderson described the role and function of the MBNC.

Presentation – Update from the National Parks Service.  Tom Leatherman, Superintendent of the Rosie The Riveter National Historic Park: Mr. Leatherman presented a slide show on recent and upcoming current activities of the park, including the citizenship ceremony at the Craneway; a campaign to distribute free park passes to Grade 4 students; sponsorship of the “Open Space Conference” at the Craneway; the Rosie Rally last summer as part of the re-launched Home Front Festival; the development of the Richmond Wellness Trail; recognition of park ranger Betty Soskin;  the growing collection of items at the museum; and continued work on updated signage to direct visitors to the park and museum.

Police Beat Report:   Officer K. Palma reported on crime in our community and answered questions from the community

Announcement:  President Anderson announced that the speakers scheduled for the March 8th meeting include a representative from local business Sims Metal; the organizer of the Richmond Wellness Trail; and a representative from the new high school in Marina Bay.

Presentation of Richmond PAL Donation:  President Anderson presented a check for $500 from MBNC to the Richmond Police Activities League which was gratefully received by Larry Lewis, the Executive Director of the organization.  Larry then gave a brief presentation on the activities of the organization, including their need for volunteers to be mentors to the young people in their league.

Presentation – Wayfinding Signage for Marina Bay — Alex Knox, Chief of Staff to the Mayor and C. Sequoia Erasmus, Director of Community Engagement:  Mr. Knox and Ms. Erasmus outlined the mayor’s idea of bringing way-finding signage to Marina Bay.   They said the city does not have any $$ to pay for it, and they were interested in learning about the resident’s interest in the idea. After a lively discussion, it became clear that although residents at this meeting were not opposed to the general idea of improved signage in our community, they wanted more details on the nature and costs, and were very much opposed to using funds from the Marina Bay Landscaping & Lighting District to pay for the signage.

Minutes Submitted by Stephen Beard, MBNC Secretary

Meeting Minutes, January 11th, 2017

7:05pm – Police Beat Report:   Meeting began with spontaneous dialogue between Officer K. Palma and community members on a variety of concerns.   Officer Palma said there were no reports of any serious incidents in our area recently.

7:07pm — Meeting Called to Order by President Stan Anderson

Introductions: Members of the community introduced themselves.

Board Member Elections: Vice-President Bill Cady indicated that the previous slate of board members were all willing to serve another term and no one had expressed a desire to run for any of the positions.   He called for a motion to accept the new slate of officers by acclamation.   A motion was made by Elizabeth Heilman and seconded by Suzanne Nielsen.   The motion was unanimously approved.

The 2017 slate of officers are:

President — Stan Anderson

Vice President — Bill Cady

Secretary — Stephen Beard

Treasurer — Lynne Therriault

Announcements — President Stan Anderson

  1.   The city has distributed direct-mail announcements about the new rent control ordinance, which President Anderson shared.
  2.  The Richmond Police Department wants help evaluating their community engagement programs.   Surveys were distributed.
  3.  President Anderson reported that concerns were raised about water gushing down from the underpass in certain areas on to the roadway and sideways during heavy rains.  he says that he was advised that it either a design or build issue.  He reports that he emailed the city Engineer about this and hopes to have an update by the next meeting.
  4. President Anderson discussed several development items relevant to community, including the Bay Walk project, the John Henry High School Conditional Use Permit proposal, and the proposed Starbucks restaurant.    The Principal of the planned high school was present and a discussion about that proposal occurred with the community at this point.

Presentation — Donations from MBNC to notable causes

President Anderson announced the donations made by MBNC to Membe’s Way, the Richmond Police Activities League, and to the Rosie The Riveter Trust for its “Rosie’s Girls Summer Camp Program”.

Presentation – Rosie’s Girls Summer Camp Program:  Rosie the Riveter Trust Executive Director Marsha Mather-Thrift presented a slide show and presentation about the summer camp program.

Minutes Submitted by Stephen Beard, MBNC Secretary

Meeting Minutes, November 9th, 2016

7:05pm – Meeting Called to Order by President Stan Anderson

Introductions & Announcements: Members of the community introduced themselves.   President Stan Anderson made several announcement:

  1. Nominations are needed for Executive Council members.  Current Vice-President Bill Cady volunteered to be on the Nominating Committee.
  2. The annual holiday pot-luck will be on Wednesday December 14th.
  3. President Anderson encouraged everyone to get involved in the council.  He says each community should have a representative.
  4. President Anderson advised that the MBNC has a seat on the Marina Bay Landscape & Lighting District and that property owners in Marina Bay pay property taxes to help support the District.
  5. The new water taxi charter service begins on November 14th from the Harbor Master Building to downtown San Francisco during commute hours.
  6. The traffic lights at the intersection of Marina Bay Parkway and Regatta Blvd are now automated and no longer flashing.   President Anderson advised caution as motorists get used to the new lights.
  7. The Charter School located on Marina Way S is pushing for a new permit from the city so they can support more students.   However, the Neighborhood Council is concerned because car traffic and congestion around the school is already causing real problems.   President Anderson says the MBNC is working with the city regarding our concerns.
  8. In October, the Planning Commission approved a new Conditional Use Permit for the Richmond Wholesale Meat business on Regatta Blvd.
  9. Construction of a new residential complex is expected to begin before the end of the year at the site of the old warehouse at the corner of Marina Way S and Wright Avenue.
  10. In October the Planning Commission approved a new Starbucks at the corner of Marina Bay Parkway and Wright Avenue.
  11. A new Mexican restaurant has opened in the plaza (near the CVS pharmacy).

Police Beat Report:   No Report.

Presentation – Discussion of Potential Development of Vacant Lot Adjacent to Salute Restaurant:  Nick Orton of Orton Development described one idea for development of the lot for commercial businesses and future housing.   The lot is owned by the City.   There was a conversation about desires and concerns about Orton’s concept and development of the site in general.   It was stressed by Mr. Orton and by President Anderson that no specific proposals have been requested by the city or submitted by any developers at this point.

 

 

Minutes Submitted by Stephen Beard, MBNC Secretary

Meeting Minutes, July 13, 2016

7:00pm – Meeting Called to Order by President Stan Anderson

Introductions & Announcements: Members of the community introduced themselves.   President Stan Anderson said the request for a bench at the AC Transit stop on Regatta had been made to the transit agency.   He advised that plans for a Starbucks drive-thru was being considered by the city’s Design Review Committee.   President Anderson also reminded the group that August 13th was the date for the Rosie The Riveter Rally.

Police Beat Report:   Officer  K. Parlma said there was not much to report for our area.    There was a discussion of a rash of recent car break-ins inside the parking area at the Marina Bay Northshore complex.   There was a discussion of the recurring issues regarding maintenance at our local parks and recent police efforts to increase surveillance.

Announcement – Update on Activity with Executive Committee of MBNC:   President Stan Anderson announced that the Council had received a request that he resign over his handling of neighborhood concerns regarding Richmond Wholesale Meats, a meat-packing business on Regatta Blvd.    President Anderson said that our bylaws do not have any provisions in them regarding handling such a request.   He says he asked the Executive Committee members to offer a “vote of confidence” in whether he should stay on as President or not.   The Executive Committee members voted that they did have confidence in the President. No further action was taken.

Presentation – Fuel Leak in the Marina (Battalion Chief Manly Moulton Jr., Richmond Fire Department):     Mr. Moulton Jr. described an incident in the Marina on June 27th 2016, when a boat sank and leaked 50-100 gallons of diesel fuel into the marina.    The Chief went into great detail about the incident, and the response by authorities to the incident.  The Harbor Master was present and offered additional insights.   Questions from the community were addressed.

Presentation – Riggers Loft Wine Company (Kathy Lund):   Representative Kathy Lund told the MBNC all about her company’s wine tasting operation at the foot of Canal Blvd in Point Richmond.   The operation has spectacular views of the Bay and San Francisco skylines, and is open Thursday through Sundays.  For more information:  www.RiggersLoftWine.com

Meeting was adjourned at 8:30PM.

Minutes Submitted by Stephen Beard, MBNC Secretary

Meeting Minutes, June 8, 2016

7:05pm – Meeting Called to Order by President Stan Anderson

Introductions & Announcements: Members of the community introduced themselves.   President Anderson announced that Measures N and O both failed to pass at the June election.  He said that the playground associated with the AMethod Charter School will be located in a parking lot separated by bushes and a restroom from the Bay Trail.  He said the charter school expects there to be about 450 more students at their Marina Way S location if their request to the city to start a high school is approved.   President Anderson also announced that there will be a public meeting regarding pollution from the BioRad facility on Regatta Blvd on June 22nd at the Richmond Field Station of UC Berkeley.

Police Beat Report (Officer K Parlma): Officer Parlma said it was “still pretty safe down here” in Marina Bay.   He said the biggest concern recently has been mail theft, and ongoing issues with the parking area at Melville Square.   There were questions about noisy activities at the Craneway.  The officer said most of the trouble was associated with drunkenness and harrassment associated with attendees at some of the events held there.

Presentation – Anh’s Vietnamese Restaurant (Owner Geo Gelera):   Restaurant owner Geo Gelera discussed his new authentic Vietnamese food restaurant opening soon on Esplanade.   The restaurant will share parking with the Salute Restaurant.   He said the restaurant would be open 7 days a week, and they hope to open before the end of the year.   Food samples were offered to attendees for their enjoyment.

Presentation – Rosie Rally and HomeFront Festival (Supt. Tom Leatheman) :   Mr. Leatheman told the MBNC about the Rosie Rally and HomeFront Festival taking place this summer on August 13th.   At least 2088 people are needed to show up dressed like “Rosie”‘s to beat the record.   This year, they are having a Homefront Festival on the same day.   Postcards about the event were distributed to the attendees.

Presentation – National Park Service Urban Fellow (Kieron Slaughter) :   Mr. Slaughter told us about his new role as an Urban Fellow with the park service.  He says Richmond is just one of ten cities in the country to have an Urban Fellow.  He said his main project will be the design of a Richmond Wellness Trail.   He said there would be a three-day gathering (a “Charrette”) from August 8-10th of this year to consider the project.   He said the project was part of the City Manager’s health initiatives.   For more information:

http://www.ci.richmond.ca.us/3252/Richmond-Wellness-Trail

Meeting was adjourned at 8:05PM.

Minutes Submitted by Stephen Beard, MBNC Secretary

Meeting Minutes, May 11, 2016

7:01pm – Meeting Called to Order by President Stan Anderson

Introductions & Announcements: President Stan Anderson said we would forgo with introductions of individuals so we could focus all our time on discussion of the local ballot measures “N” and “O” .  He announced that the next meeting would be held on June 8th at 7pm.

Police Beat Report: No Report.

Presentation on Measure “N”:    The ballot measure proposed a single family housing development at the foot of Marina Way South in an empty lot beside the Rosie the Riveter museum.   Leisa Johnson spoke in favor of the measure.   Ben Choi spoke in opposition to it.   Following their presentations and rebuttals of each other’s presentations, there were questions from the audience and a lively discussion.

Presentation on Measure “O”:    The ballot measure proposed a cap on the pay for the City of Richmond’s City Manager.  Fritz Kunze spoke in favor of the measure.   Ben Choi spoke in opposition to it.   Following their presentations and rebuttals of each other’s presentations, there were questions from the audience and a lively discussion.

Minutes Submitted by Stephen Beard, MBNC Secretary

Meeting Minutes, April 13, 2016

7:00pm – Meeting Called to Order by President Stan Anderson

Introductions & Announcements: Members of the community introduced themselves.

Police Beat Report: No Report.

Presentation – Han’s Vietnamese Restaurant:   Presentation Postponed.   President Stan Anderson reported that Planning Department says only 35 parking spots are required for the planned restaurant so current parking lot is adequate.   Some re-striping may occur.   He says no off-site liquor sales will be allowed.   President Anderson says he hopes to reschedule the presentation for a future meeting.

Announcements – President Stan Anderson: Mr. Anderson says the MBNC will be having an “All Candidates’ Night” for the fall elections in September.  He says the city is trying to establish an Artisan’s Fair for our area.   He says the local AMethod Charter School is hoping to add a high school at its current location on Marina Way South.

Presentation – Richmond Wholesale Meats (Richard Doellstedt):   Company President Mr Doellstedt gave a presentation about his company and their history in Richmond and at their Regatta Blvd location.  He told MBNC about the kind of work they do in their business, and described some of the steps his company has taken to deal with neighborhood concerns.   There was a lively discussion.

Meeting was adjourned at 8:05PM.

Minutes Submitted by Stephen Beard, MBNC Secretary

Meeting Minutes, March 9, 2016

7:00pm – Meeting Called to Order by President Stan Anderson

Introductions & Announcements: Members of the community introduced themselves.  President Anderson reported that the city is revising its zoning rules and that this is being discussed at the Neighborhood Coordinating Council.   He says their will be two local ballot initiatives for the June elections.   One will be about the proposed “Richmond Riviera” housing development on Marina Way South and the other will be about compensation for the Richmond City Manager.   He says the Richmond Progressive Alliance (RPA) is opposed to the housnig development ballot measure.

Police Beat Report, Officer Terry Thomas: Officer Thomas discussed crime activity since January 1st, including one auto theft and several burglaries.    He says there have been issues with loitering at Shimada Park.    He answered questions from residents about various issues, including security in the parks, mis-use of the parking lot at Melville Square, and noisy sirens from police officers departing the station on Regatta Blvd.

Announcements:  President Stan Anderson advised that the cause of the underpass flooding last week was unknown, but was resolved quickly.   The Marina Bay Harbor Master Steve Orosz told the MBNC about the “Strictly Sail” event coming to Marina Bay this year for the first time.  He said it would be held from April 7th through the 10th at the Marina and that there would be events at the Craneway also.

Presentation – BART Update (BART Director, Zachary Mallett):    Director Mallett spoke about BART’s past, present, and future with a focus on our area.   He discussed improvements at our local BART stations and public meetings scheduled this month for potential future transit options north of the Richmond BART.   He described how BART has the oldest fleet of trains in the United States and older infrastructure and encouraged attendees to support an upcoming ballot measure which would provide funding to help BART deal with this issue.

Presentation – CERT Program at Breakers Community (Karen Fenton, Neighbor):  The Breakers community has set up their own Community Emergency Response Team (CERT).   Resident Karen Fenton discussed the disaster preparedness program at her community and activities her HOA has taken to help prepare for an earthquake.  She offered to share her community’s experience and expertise with any of the other HOAs in our area.

 

Minutes Submitted by Stephen Beard, MBNC Secretary

Richmond Bay Trail Network Fall 2015 Update

TRAC, the Trails for Richmond Action Committee, normally issues colorful new year and mid year reports on progress toward completing the Bay Trail in Richmond. However, so much has been accomplished during the past three months that we are sending you this special but plain vanilla third quarter update, rather than awaiting the January new year report.

The seven active projects discussed below will close over six miles of Bay Trail gaps within two years, provided that the City of Richmond (City), East Bay Regional Park District (EBRPD) and TRAC working together are able to secure funding to construct two of the projects when shovel ready. Most of these gaps are located around Point Pinole Regional Shoreline and between the Point Richmond & Point Molate as shown on the attached map.

Point Pinole:

EBRPD is on a roll. They have awarded a $1.5 million contract to begin public access improvements on the 150-acre Breuner Marsh Restoration and Public Access Project and are advertising for bids on a $5.6 million project to construct a second entrance to Point Pinole Regional Shoreline (PPRS) from the end of Atlas Road.

The Breuner Marsh Project includes a staging area with restrooms and motor vehicle parking accessible from the northern end of Goodrick Ave. Leading north over Rheem Creek will be 0.3 miles of new Bay Trail plus a 0.3-mile scenic spur trail enhanced by picnic areas and vista points with benches. This project will be finished by May 2016 with the next phase building another 1.2 miles of Bay Trail into PPRS scheduled for completion by May 2017. Complementing EBRPD’s Breuner project, the City has awarded BKF Engineers a $156,000 contract for design, environmental and permit work on a 0.4-mile trail along Goodrick Ave. to connect the Breuner trail staging area with the Bay Trail along the Richmond Parkway. Geotechnical and environmental technical studies are being finalized with 65% design work underway.

EBRPD’s Atlas Road entrance project includes a bridge over the UP railroad corridor linking the Bay Trail along Atlas Road with the 4.5 miles of Bay Trail within PPRS. Complementing this EBRPD project, LDK Ventures has agreed to construct 0.5 miles of Bay Trail leading north from Atlas Road toward Pinole before occupancy of a new 700,000 sq. ft. industrial building they plan to build along Atlas Road.

Point Molate:

Bay Area Toll Authority (BATA), EBRPD and the City are advancing separate projects that together will complete the Bay Trail to and along the shoreline of the City’s Point Molate property by late 2017. The Metropolitan Transportation Commission and Association of Bay Area Governments voted to add BATA’s Richmond/San Rafael Bridge Access Improvement Project to Plan Bay Area and the regional Transportation Improvement Plan. The project definition was expanded to include the Point Molate Bay Trail section between Stenmark Drive and Castro St., rather than only as far east as Marine St., thanks to letters from Mayor Tom Butt, Contra Costa Transportation Authority and TRAC supported by 74 emails from East Bay residents. Partnering with the City, EBRPD advertised for consultant proposals and is about contract for construction design and permitting to continue the Point Molate Bay Trail 2.5 miles from Stenmark Drive to the northern border of the City’s Point Molate property.

South Richmond:

Richmond’s City Council adopted the South Richmond Transportation Connectivity Plan in mid September. Implementation of this excellent plan will greatly improve bicyclist and pedestrian safety where the Bay Trail is on city streets, rather than along the shoreline. For example, the plan calls for separating bicyclists from motor vehicle traffic on Harbour Way, Marina Way and Hoffman Blvd., as well as improving pedestrian and bicyclist safety at the broad intersection of Central Ave. and Rydin Rd. Before the ink was dry on this plan, the applicant for the Bay Walk Mixed-Use Project on a 10-acre site at the intersection of Marina Way South and Wright Ave. agreed to install bike lanes on its section of Marina Way, repave Wright Avenue with bike lanes between Marina Way and Harbour Way and make safety improvements at the intersection of Marina Way and Wright Ave.

TRAC Steering Committee

Your Chance to Comment on the Richmond Bay Specific Plan (previously known as the South Shore Specific Plan)

The draft Richmond Bay Specific Plan (RBSP), formerly known as the South Shoreline Specific Plan, is now available for public review and comment. The RBSP will facilitate the implementation of Richmond’s new General Plan by establishing specific planning policies, regulations, and urban design guidelines for an approximately 220-acre area area located in the City of Richmond, south of Interstate Highway 580. The RBSP will focus on ways Richmond can take advantage of the planned Berkeley Global Campus at Richmond Bay, future ferry service, and other area assets to create a sustainable shoreline district providing jobs, housing, transportation options, and opportunities for entertainment and recreation.

The draft RBSP will be presented at the Planning Commission meeting on October 15, 2015 at 6:30 PM or soon after and at the City Council meeting on October 27, 2015 at 6:30 PM or soon after. Both meetings will be held at the City Council Chambers, 440 Civic Center Plaza, Richmond, 94804.

An online copy of the draft Richmond Bay Specific Plan (RBSP) can be found at www.ci.richmond.ca.us/rbsp

Written comments on the draft RBSP are due by November 16, 2015.

Complete Mayor Tom Butt’s Survey on Marketing and Branding the City of Richmond!

One of Mayor Tom Butt’s top priorities is to conduct a full scale branding and marketing study of the City of Richmond. The study is underway and is at a critical stage of the research. The goal of this study is to make sure that the way we represent ourselves as a City is reflective of our community and that we establish an image and improved reputation with our residents, neighbors, businesses and visitors.

Please take a brief moment to fill out this resident survey and help inform the research: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/SVBMMJ2

Your response will remain confidential and will be gathered directly by our consultants at  North Star Destination Strategies

Meeting Minutes, August 12, 2015

7:34pm – Meeting Called to Order by President Stan Anderson

Introductions & Announcements: Members of the community introduced themselves.

Police Beat Report: Officer Decious gave a report on general crime issues in Beat 1, which includes Marina Bay.   He said crime is up all over the city, but not noticeably in Marina Bay.  In emergencies residents should call 9-1-1. Residents can contact him directly via email for non-emergencies: cdecious@richmondpd.net.   (www.ci.richmond.ca.us/82/PoliceDepartment)

Moody Underpass Project Report (Jacqueline Majors): Ms. Majors said work continuing on the underpass.   Two towers on the bridge going up soon, as well as sidewalk railings and fences.   There is no specific date for official opening, but hopes sidewalks will be opened by end of September, with landscaping efforts after that. There have been reports of pedestrians crossing over the roadway and emphasized that people should stop doing this because it is not safe.   The flashing red lights at the intersections will be reset to the regular red-yellow-green traffic lights only AFTER the project is fully completed.  (www.moodyup.com)

Announcement – Rosie The Riveter Rally on August 15th (Allison Joyce): Ms. Joyce advertised the event on August 15th to break the Guinness World Book of Records for the “Most Rosie’s” at the park, and answered questions about costumes, parking, and other details. (www.nps.gov/rori/)

Presentation – Richmond Hiltop YMCA (Kristy Sharkevy): Ms. Sharkevy gave a presentation on the services offered at the Y, and handed out programs and some passes. (http://www.ymcaeastbay.org/Locations/Hilltop_Family_YMCA.htm)

Presentation – NIAD (Deb Dyer): Ms. Dyer gave a presentation regarding the Nurturing Independence through Artistic Development (NIAD) Art Center and its studio for artists with developmental disabilities in downtown Richmond.   (www.niadart.org)

Minutes Submitted by Stephen Beard, MBNC Secretary

Berkeley Global Campus at Richmond Bay

Follow the development of the UC Berkeley Global Campus at Richmond Bay:

The vision for the campus at Richmond Bay: A Bold Global Vision

Chancellor’s Message–Open letter to the Richmond Community from UC Berkeley Chancellor Nicholas Dirks Click here to read the letter

Keep updated on development of the campus–Read the News about the Berkeley Global Campus

Minutes, July 7, 2015

7:32 pm – Meeting Called to Order by President Stan Anderson

Introductions & Announcements: Members of the community introduced themselves.

Police Beat Report: Officer B. Therriault gave a report.  Marina Bay had two reported crimes in June. One was a stolen car and the other was identity theft.   This low incident rate was noteworthy because of a recent surge in property crime elsewhere in Richmond.   Officer Therriault circulated a picture of an alleged “peeping tom” reported here in Marina Bay.   Officer Therriault advised community members to email the department’s traffic sergeant directly regarding these types of concerns.

Moody Underpass Project Report (Jacqueline Majors): Ms. Majors said there was no date yet for the complete opening of the underpass in September.   She said the sidewalks would not open until the September full opening.   She indicated that the flashing red traffic lights at the Meeker/Marina Bay Parkway intersection would be upgraded to a full signal system after all the construction was completed.

Presentation – Parks Service Events (Kieren Slaughter): Mr. Slaughter gave a presentation regarding events this summer at the Rosie the Riveter National Historic Park & Museum.   This includes the “Rosie Rally” planned for August 15th at the park.

Presentation – “Made in Richmond” (Janet Johnson): Ms. Johnson gave a presentation regarding a city program to support gift baskets made by local Richmond businesses.

Presentation – New Charter School (Jorge Lopez, Principal): Principal Lopez gave a presentation regarding Amethod Charter School’s proposal to move their Richmond Charter School location to a space on Marina Bay South near the Harbor Master Building.   He said the school would serve up to 660 students from K-8 beginning this fall.     A vigorous discussion occurred about safety concerns for the play area at the school, possible traffic congestion from students being dropped off and other potential impacts on the community.

Minutes Submitted by Stephen Beard, MBNC Secretary

Meeting Minutes, June 10, 2015

7:35pm – Meeting Called to Order by President Stan Anderson

Introductions & Announcements: Members of the community introduced themselves.   Next meeting announced for Wednesday July 8th 2015 with representatives of the planned charter school coming to talk about their plans.

Discussed community meeting held June 3rd at the Marina Bay HOA regarding issues associated with diesel exhaust, noise, and light pollution from several businesses along Regatta Blvd.

Stan advised that city is short two city planners, down from 5 to 3.   The city wants MBNC input on planned charter school.   After much discussion the group agreed that MBNC would share its concerns with city following charter school presentation at our next meeting.   Stan said he would investigate if that would be adequate notice to the city for them to slow down the project if our concerns were not addressed.

Police Beat Report: No officer present. No report

Moody Underpass Project Report (Jacqueline Majors): Ms. Majors announced partial opening of underpass by Friday July 2nd, with one lane in each direction.   No sidewalk usage. No lighting.   She said there will be “traffic controls” for drivers as contractors will still be working at the site and their safety must be ensured. Ms. Majors said the delays in work caused by the partial opening will prevent completion of the entire project until sometime in September. Some attendees felt delay into September was not properly represented when group voted on early opening at the previous meeting. Concerns were also expressed about safety without street lights during this partial opening period.

Presentation – EBMUD (Lisa McIntosh): A thorough presentation regarding water usage and the drought by local resident and EBMUD Board Member Lisa McIntosh.   Free yard water-saving devices and info packets provided to all attendees.

Minutes Submitted by Stephen Beard, MBNC Secretary

Agenda, Wednesday, June 10, 2015, 7:30-9:00 PM

Harbormaster’s Meeting Room*

1340 S Marina Way

Beat Officer’s Report–Law Enforcement report on what is happening in Marina Bay.

Update on Moody Underpass – Jacqueline Majors will update us on the status of the project.

Marina Bay Landscape and Lighting DistrictJonathan Taylor, President of the Advisory Committee to the Marina Bay Landscaping and Lighting District and Marina Bay resident will update us on the work of this group 

EBMUD, Water and the Drought–Lesa McIntosh, EBMUD Director and Marina Bay resident

*Directions: over the RR tracks, turn left onto Hall Ave. Park in the lot on the right.

Meeting Meeting Minutes May 13, 2015

7:34pm – Meeting Called to Order by President Stan Anderson

Introductions: Members of the community introduced themselves.   Next meeting announced for Wednesday June 10th 2015 with EBMUD coming to talk about the drought.

Announcements: Activity file distributed to attendees for review; News about Richmond police on cutting edge of violence prevention; Uptick in personal property theft; Planning Dept considering approval Charter School on Marina Way South.

Police Beat Report (Officer Jose G. Villalobos, #1318): Officer Villalobos advised us about new program for handling “5150” incidents; the use of body cameras by Richmond officers; Property crime down in Marina Bay; Marina Bay remains “very safe area”; RPD below capacity by 20 officers

Moody Underpass Project Report (Jacqueline Majors): Ms. Majors requested community feedback on partial opening in June vs no opening at all until August. She said choice of former would delay full completion by a short period of time in August.   Group voted to support early partial opening.   Ms. Majors said this would happen towards the end of June. No date for paving balance of roadway yet.   Moody family expected to visit the site on May 19th for a ceremony to imprint their handprints in the concrete

Presentation – Richmond City Smartphone APP: A presentation and demonstration was given by Sue Hartman and Steve Furtado of the City of Richmond regarding the new “CivicTrak” mobile app for the public to keep in touch with the city and report problems.

Presentation – Air Quality Monitoring: A presentation and demonstration was given by Axel Abellard of Argos Scientific regarding the air quality monitoring of the Chevron refinery and the ability of members of the public to monitor it directy via the website: www.fenceline.org/Richmond

 

Minutes Submitted by Stephen Beard, MBNC Secretary

Meeting Minutes February 11, 2015

Stan Anderson called the meeting to order at 7:30 PM, provided statement of purpose followed by introductions.

Lynne Therriault provided membership information which prompted a neighbor to question what was done with the funds collected in dues. Aside from the Holiday party and mailing, there is no specified use for the funds. Stan suggested that it would be good to look at possible organizations in greater Richmond or Marina Bay as possible recipients of donations. The Board will consider possible this at a future meeting.

The public art project approved for the space between Sheridan Point and the Craneway is pending coordination with WETA (Water Emergency Transportation Authority) ferry shoreline improvements application with BCDC (Bay Conservation and Development Commission). BCDC will not consider the project plans until the WETA plans are submitted.

Beat Officer Report:   Beat 1 Officer Villalobos reported that there had been 49 property crimes since December1 – most of these were in Point Richmond which is experiencing an increase in crime lately, perhaps related to the construction in the area. He did not have the specific numbers for Marina Bay. The homeless have been trying to set up an encampment near the storage facility on Meeker. Since this is railway property, the railroad company is dealing with the situation.

Moody Underpass Update: Brandon Majors stated that the concrete walls are approximately 80% complete. 600 tons of asphalt has been placed with more to come. Mid-June is still the planned opening date, but this will be moved out with any rain delays. In response to a question about funds that will be available for upgrades and landscaping, Stan stated that there would be some funds available, but at this point, the amount is pending any construction requirements.

Masquers Playhouse: David Cole, President of the Board of Directors – Masquers is celebrating its 60th anniversary in its 88 seat theater in Point Richmond. With an all volunteer staff and cast, this local nonprofit group presents five major productions, two Envision productions, several fundraising musical concerts, several education and development programs for young people and Off Stage which introduces new works by local playwrights in the form of staged readings. Website: www.masquers.org; phone 510-232-3888.

Hands-On Fire Extinguisher Training: Deputy Fire Marshall, Robin Poindexter, reminded the group of the importance of having multipurpose ABC fire extinguishers readily available around our homes and demonstrated the proper way to use them with high tech equipment. Neighbors then had an opportunity to use extinguishers to put out the tech flame. For many it was the first time they had held and operated an extinguisher. She also pointed out that baking soda can be used to help put out fires. Chemically, it is the same as the contents of an extinguisher, but the extinguisher is more efficient because the suppressant is under pressure. Most home fires are cooking fires – put a lid on it and never walk away from cooking food on the stove.

Meeting Adjourned at 9:00 PM

Meeting Minutes January 14, 2015

Opening and Announcements – Stan Anderson

The meeting opened at 7:30 pm and Stan did introductions.

 

Election of Officers – Stan Anderson

Election of officers was held and by unanimous vote all officers were re-elected to their positions. Stan Anderson – Chair, Barbara Norrish – Vice Chair, Lynne Therriault – Treasurer, Bob Bezek – Secretary.

Lighted Signs Discussion – Stan Anderson

Proposals for lighted billboard signs are coming before the City planning department. The general sense of the group was not in favor of lighted billboards.

Bobalou Café Alcohol Permit – Stan Anderson

A discussion was held regarding a request by the new Bobalou Café to serve alcohol. The restaurant is located in the business park area across from the bingo hall. The group had no objections with the proposal.

Poe Housing Development Status – Stan Anderson

Mr. Poe is proposing a 62 townhome development on the 4 acre site near the Rosie the Riveter Museum. Stan explained that it is not consistent with the City Landuse plan which has the area zoned for mixed use. There were a lot of questions from the audience so Stan will try to get representatives from the developer and the City planning department to attend a future meeting.

Beat Officer’s Report – No Officer Present

Moody Underpass Update – Jacqueline Majors

Project was delayed due to rain in December and is now scheduled to be completed in June 2015. They are still working on some street light issues. Stop signs will be added to the intersection with the flashing light to emphasize the need to stop. People have been running the light.

Richmond History Museum – Linda McCreary

Ms. McCreary had to leave but MBNC Treasurer Lynne Therriault made a brief presentation about the museum and made available literature that Ms. McCreary had brought with her. The Museum is open Wednesday thru Sunday. She noted that they also are the owners of the Red Oak Victory.

Mindful Life Project – JG Larochette

Mr. Larochette gave a very energized discussion about the Mindful Life Project that has a goal of creating “Healing Communities One Child at a Time.” Their organization works directly with schools to empower underserved children through mindfulness and other transformative skills to gain self-awareness, confidence, self-regulation and reliance all leading to lifelong success. Their focus is children and teachers in the K-12 range. You can visit their website at www.mindfullifeproject.org.

Meeting Adjourned at 9:00 PM

 

Meeting minutes submitted by Bob Bezek, MBNC Secretary.

Meeting Minutes, March 12, 2014

Announcements

Stan opened the meeting at 7:30 pm and did introductions. Stan circulated several pictures he had of the Moody Underpass construction. At the April meeting there will be a presentation on the archeology of the Moody Underpass site. New housing units are proposed at 830 Marina Way, Stan will find out more. A lighted Billboard was proposed and if the proposal moves forward Stan will bring it back as an issue for discussion.

Beat Officer’s Report – No Officer Present

Stan had a report from the Chief’s office. Overall in the City violent crimes are down. Due to budget issues there may be a reduction in the force.

Moody Underpass Update

Stan reported that AT&T has stopped the project until they move some telephone lines. The work migt take 30 days. The City is taking steps to get things moving so it doesn’t affect the project schedule. Additional information regarding the project can be obtained by visiting the project website at moodyup.com.

Presentation on Stormwater Management at Moody Underpass Project.

Elizabeth Smilley, Thunder Mountain Enterprises, Inc.

Ms. Smilley reported that she is responsible for overseeing the implementation of the Storm Water Pollution Prevention Plan (SWPPP) for the site. She was hired by the City to oversee the contractor’s implementation of the SWPPP. The plan is to control sediment and erosion from leaving the site. The contractor is to also ensure dirt isn’t tracked off site by vehicles leaving the site.

Presentation on Point Molate Park by Jim Hite

Jim gave a brief overview of the park and that they are looking for volunteers. The City owns the property and there is clean up needed. He provided a brochure. We will post information on the MBNC website.

Meeting Adjourned at 9:00 PM

 

Meeting Minutes Submitted by Bob Bezek, Secretary.

2015 Bay Trail in Richmond Report

Now available for your enjoyment and information is the 16th Richmond Bay Trail New Year Report prepared by TRAC, the Trails for Richmond Action Committee. This upbeat, colorful report features newly built Bay Trail sections and describes plans for completing the San Francisco Bay Trail in Richmond. Richmond now has over 32 miles of Bay Trail built — more than any other city on this planned 500-mile hiking and biking route encircling San Francisco and San Pablo Bays. However, ten miles of gaps still remain. You and download a copy of the report by clicking on the link: 2015 Bay Trail in Richmond Report

Meeting Minutes January 8, 2014

  1. Announcements

Stan opened the meeting at 7:30 pm and did introductions. No announcements were recorded.

  1. Beat Officer’s Report (Daniel Sanchez)

Office Sanchez gave a report with no significant crimes. Questions were asked about park restrooms. They are currently open 24 hours but will look into the possibility of them closing at night. They used to be policed by a private security service but no longer. Questions were asked about recent reports of mail theft, he will find out and report back. Questions were also asked about cameras surveillance and if the City funds or supports it. The City has some but they are not adding on, even if purchased by others. They can provide advice to those that want to install cameras.

  1. Moody Underpass Update (Jacqueline Majors)

Jacqueline Majors reported that there were no current delays in the Moody Underpass project. She added 4 large signs to help direct people to businesses in the area. She is also addressing street light outage with the City. If anyone has issues or questions about the project they should email her and not the City. Her email address is; jacqueline@moodyup.com. Additional information regarding the project can be obtained by visiting the project website at moodyup.com.

  1. Presentation on Contaminated Soils in the Marina Bay Neighborhood by Sherry Padgett

Sherry is a longtime resident and business owner in the Marina Bay area that has been very active in researching and understanding the situation surrounding the management of toxic materials as the Marina Bay area has been developed. She presented a history of the area and maps showing sites where long term disposal sites exist. There is a Richmond SE Shoreline Advisory Group and a Toxics Committee that meets once a month.

 

  1. Meeting Adjourned at 9:00 PM

 

Meeting Minutes Submitted by Bob Bezek, Secretary.